What Accreditation Should You Look For?

Accreditations are the easiest way to visibly see the standard of work and professionalism of a tradesman. However with so many acronyms for accreditations it can make you question “WTH”, to make these accreditations easier to understand we have listed the top associations and what trade each applies to.

(FMB) Federation of Master Builders

Established in 1941 FMB is an independent, non-profit organisation, that promotes professionalism and high quality workmanship among small and medium-sized building firms throughout the UK.

Only builders and specialists who can comply with the FMB entry criteria are accepted as members. The Federation logo on tradesmens company vehicles and marketing is widely accepted as the hallmark of a builder who takes pride in the quality of their work, and who matches it with an equally well-run business.


NICEIC highlights electrical safety, professionalism and high industrial standards of work. Since 1956 it has been assessing the electrical competence of electricians to create a register of approved contractors. Contractors are approved via a rigorous assessment process that includes reviewing a sample of the contractor’s work, inspecting documentation and equipment. Once becoming an approved contractor standards will need to remain high as regular reassessment then ensures continued compliance with NICEIC requirements.


NAPIT is a Government-approved organisation established for over 20 years and holds registers of installers working within the electrical, plumbing, heating and ventilation sectors and is committed to householder safety. NAPIT registered installers work under a Competent Person Scheme to notify any works undertaken on your home to your Local Authority Building Control, in accordance with Building Regulation requirements.

Gas Safe Register

If you are having gas work done in your home or workplace you should only use a Gas Safe registered engineer.


Looking to replace your double glazing, it needs to comply with the Building Regulations for thermal performance. This can either be achieved by getting the permission and certification for this from your local building authorities. Alternatively, you can get an installer who is accredited by FENSA.


Trackback from your site.

Leave a comment

  • Want more work for your business?

    Want more work for your business?

    Contact us and start quoting for local jobs today!